SMK Tamparuli was founded in 1964 where the school was first situated in Tuaran using the same compound with SK Pekan Tuaran. The school is then relocated to its present place in Tamparuli after OKK Bayang donated a piece of land where the school stood until now. It is 5 KM distance from PPD Tuaran and 30 KM from Kota Kinabalu. The school use the two session system. The school also offer “Kelas Pendidikan Aliran Integrasi”, “Kelas Aliran Agama” and also Form Six.
As of 2017, the school has 1673 students and 150 teachers and staff.